Thursday, February 16, 2012

We Got you covered




Wells wells wells.
Its that time when I start breaking ground. Getting the cover crop turned in, and getting ready to plant potatoes(so many tatoes) and all of the lovely Brassicas aka crucifers that we know and love ( Kale Collards Cabbage Broccoli Cauliflower, and other things that smell funky, yet tasty).
My cover crops are quite lush this year because of the mild freaky winter, and are gonna feed the soil for me, as well as hold in all those sweet sweet nutrients. I planted Crimson Clover and Winter Rye, because the clover fixes nitrogen, or rather steals it from the air and stores it in little nitrogen sacks on its roots- when I till it I spill it if you will. And the Rye gives me a metric shit ton of biomass, not to mention it takes up lots of nutrients and then gives them back as it breaks down, otherwise that stuff would just wash away. So I guess what it breaks down to is cover cropping helps me outwardly be the cheapskate I know I am on the inside. Nah just playin. it cost a lot more to cover crop, but building biomass is the best way to improve your soil. Especially if you have poor soil to begin with.(Not to mention all the spilling of seed jokes that you can wow co-workers and neighbors with as they wonder what yer doing)
There are all types of soil sandy, clay etc. Mine was classified as "shitty" or sickly clay so I am always thrilled when I can add to it. otherwise everything you harvest, as in take things away, your taking without giving back. That can only fly for so long before you've got a dust bowl on your hands.
Here are the same spots a day later, after tilling in that clover and rye. In about three weeks it will get amended and planted in. All them new little plants are gonna ravenously consume those sweet little cover crop plants and just like the one lion said to the smaller one- something something the circle of life etc.. Cue Elton John- holler

No comments: